RE: Evidence For a Feathered Velociraptor...

Graydon wrote:

> Quill knobs imply substantial aerodynamic load and structured feathers,

I can understand why quill knobs imply structured feathers, but not aerodynamic
load.  At least not for
_Velociraptor_.  Sure, the forelimb feathers might have been exposed to certain
aerodynamic forces, such as
when rapidly extended or retracted during a predatory strike; or (even more
dramatically) if _Velociraptor_
was leaping through the air toward large prey.  But it's a tough sell to say
that these forces qualify as
"aerodynamic load". (I'm not suggesting that you are saying this, BTW; I'm
justing setting the scene.)

The presence of quill knobs means that the feathers were anchored to the ulna
with ligaments.  The selective
pressure that originally drove the evolution of quill knobs might indeed have
been aerodynamic load, such as
WAIR, or phugoid gliding, or primary thrust generation, or whatever.  But for
_Velociraptor_ (and maybe
_Rahonavis_ too) quill knobs may have evolved (or been retained) for a
non-aerodynamic reason.  For
example, having the feathers more tightly anchored to the ulna would help them
stay attached during
predatory tussles with large prey.  Because _Velociraptor_ has broken the
correlation between quill knobs and
powered flight, we have to come up with other (non-aerodynamic?) explanations
for why flightless
maniraptorans might have had quill knobs.  Or else, it could be argued that the
quill knobs of
_Velociraptor_ are just remnants of an ancestry from maniraptorans which were
aerodynamic (and maybe
powered fliers).

> So at least one of:
> 1 these are a big help in catching up to the prey before subduing it
>
> 2 these are absolutely required to have a shot at successful
> breeding (display leaping, tucked-wrist feather-battering fights for
> breeding rights, fanning the nest, who knows...)
>
> 3 if you don't have these, you can't get away from your larger
> theropod relatives
>
> has to be true, along with "these don't make it more difficult to subdue
> prey".

You know, I'm coming around to your way of thinking.  In support of your
argument, Gishlick (in the Ostrom
Symposium volume) noted that feathers on the hands would not have intefered too
much with predation,
because the feathers were attached roughly perpendicular to the claws, and
oriented tangentially to the
prey.  He also suggested that large forelimb feathers might have advantages in
predation - they could cause
the hands and arms to seem larger (and prevent small prey from dodging to
either side); or for pack-hunters
this same ploy could be used to "herd" prey.  Of course, both ideas are highly
speculative.  They would
certainly make for interesting illustrations.

Cheers

Tim

Capture your memories in an online journal!