Re: Evidence For a Feathered Velociraptor...

ptnorton writes:

I would also note that concerns about damage to elongated ulna remiges may be a red herring, since aerodynamically functional feathers on the arms of an animal such as Velociraptor could have helped it do battle with its feet while keeping its arms *away* from struggling prey. In battle and in prey aquistion, birds will use their wings to bring the hind limbs higher so that the feet will make contact first.

Indeed - t'is a remarkable coincidence that some of the most bird-like of non-avians also just happened to have a rather nasty claw on their foot. It's almost as if there was a shift away from the 'front end only' predation techniques of other theropods (which might eventually have culminated in large, big-headed theropods with reduced forelimbs), towards a 'use my feet to keep things away from my lovely forelimb fans' approach. :)

The above description brings to mind a creature that could exert enough lift with its forelimbs in order to bring its head and chest up and out of the way, long enough to execute a few piercing stabs with the feet (cassowary-style). Of course you'd probably want some sort of reinforcing armour on the belly like kangaroos have (mmm... extensive gastralia might do the trick), and a good stiff tail with plenty of mobility at the base might also help...

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist              geo cities.com/dannsdinosaurs
Melbourne, Australia             heretichides.soffiles.com