Re: Evidence For a Feathered Velociraptor...

On 9/26/07, Graydon <oak@uniserve.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 06:51:50PM -0700, T. Michael Keesey scripsit:
> > On 9/26/07, Graydon <oak@uniserve.com> wrote:
> > > "Tinamiformes, Phoenicopteriformes, and taxa outside of Ornithurae all
> > > lack quill knobs", according to  "A new bird from the Upper Cretaceous
> > > Two Medicine Formation of Montana", David J. Varricchio, Can. J. Earth
> > > Sci. 39: 19-26 (2002).
> >
> > Which sense of "Ornithurae"?
>
> "Piksi does exhibit one synapomorphy of the Ornithurae, a brachial
> depression on the humerus (Chiappe and Calvo 1994), but appears to lack
> quill knobs on the ulna shaft (Elzanowski 1995)."
>
> is the only other mention of "Ornithurae" in that paper; I would guess
> that it takes the definition from Chiappe and Calvo 1994, but the author
> doesn't explicitly state which definition he's using.

TaxonSearch to the rescue!
http://www.taxonsearch.org/dev/taxon_edit.php?Action=View&tax_id=233
I'm guessing it's _Ornithurae_ sensu Chiappe 1995, i.e., a node-based
clade specified by _Hesperornithiformes_ and modern avians (and
stricter than other usages of that name). So that would mean that
_Enantiornithes_, _Confuciusornithidae_, etc. do not have quill knobs.
Interesting, since they are pretty clearly volant. This character has
a strange distribution, unless it's simply being missed in a lot of
taxa.
--
Mike Keesey