Re: Livezey and Zusi's paper plagued with convergence?

Now that I have the data matrix, we can see where these large flightless birds end up according to their data. All three form a clade sister to Aptornis (another large extinct ground bird) in Gruiformes. Seems somewhat suspicious to me. Dromornithids are supposed to be related to anseriforms, Sylviornis to galliforms, and Gastornis to anseriforms or maybe gruiforms. Are even huge, detailed morphological analyses just doomed to convergence?

Or maybe they just contain a few hundred correlated characters. Figuring that out would make a nice Ph.D. thesis or three.