Re: Racial/ethnic minorities in American paleontology

On 9/30/07, Denver Fowler <df9465@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I think it's more about class and financial status than ethnicity. Ask the
> question differently: why are there so few palaeontologists from non
> middle-to upper class backgrounds? Opportunity, financial backing, etc.. the
> situation is changing slowly.

I think that's almost certainly the main reason, although I'd add
that, in the U.S. and Canada, the regions with the best fossil record
(e.g., the Rockies) tend to be coincidentally largely populated by
"white" people. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions -- my city
has the La Brea tar pits and a Latino majority -- so I'm sure that
ethnogeographical factors are secondary to economic factors.

Fact is, paleontology can be pretty expensive. (And that's why I
became a computer programmer....)
--
Mike Keesey