RE: Homing Pigeons? Try Homing Crocodiles...

Dann Pigdon wrote:

> ... signals sent by cryptochromes in the eyes of garden warblers are
processed by the optic lobe in the brain:

 http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/09/27/2044505.htm

And we might thus imagine that birds do indeed 'see' the magnetic field,
perhaps as 'lines of force' projected onto the visual field. But earlier,
Dann also said this was

> not something you'd expect in largely nocturnal crocs

and I beg to differ: if there's something like a virtual heads-up display of
lines of force it would be much more accessible (contrasting with the visual
background) at night, when it would also be more useful (migratory birds do
a lot of night-flying, do they not?)

John

Dr John D. Scanlon, FCD
Palaeontologist,
Riversleigh Fossil Centre, Outback at Isa
19 Marian Street / PO Box 1094
Mount Isa  QLD  4825
AUSTRALIA
Ph:   07 4749 1555