Re: was Ophiacodon the best?

> Pangaea is big, and the Early Permian lasted a very long time...

...and yet Wiki only offered *Ophiacodon*.

Wikipedia (which is a wiki among many) is pretty bad on paleontology. It says very little, and what it says is mostly based on sources that are at least 20 years out of date. Don't trust it.

Off the top of my head, *Ophiacodon* has at least four different species that span the end of the Carboniferous and the first parts of the Early Permian, but *Varanosaurus* is another ophiacodontid. Other than ophiacodontids, there don't seem to have been any large semiaquatic carnivores. The habitat of the eryopid temnospondyls (smaller than the ophiacodonts) is under dispute, *Archeria* (the last anthracosaur) was outright aquatic and not terribly large... I forgot how long the rhizodontids survived, but IIRC not into the Permian...

Oh! *Limnoscelis*! Smaller than at least some species of *Ophiacodon*, IIRC, but still interesting enough. Nice teeth.

> *Watongia* was a gigantic varanopid.

amphibious? thank you.

No, there's no evidence it or any varanopid was amphibious. I just brought it up because, fragmentary as it is, it used to be interpreted as a very early and very large gorgonopsian.