Re: Dromeo Danger

don ohmes writes:

Heh. I live in a place that has coyotes aplenty. I
hear them several times a week, and can find fresh
scat w/in 100m of the house easily. Unless I work at
it, I see ZERO coyotes. On the other hand, I get
attacked by mockingbirds pretty regular, in season.

Being small, volant, quick and very manouevrable tends to 'embiggen' the smallest of creatures. :)

Here in Australia the boldest bird would have to be the willy wag-tail (Rhipidura leucophrys) - a tiny insect eater that will gladly take on a magpie or a crow (known nest raiders) in single combat despite mass diffences of several orders of magnitude. Their aerial agility makes them almost immune to reprisals, so most of their victims don't bother making the effort anyway.

If willy wag-tails will attack magpies, and magpies will themselves attack wedge-tailed eagles (as my mother witnessed in her own front yard; the aftermath including a lot of damaged and destroyed potted plants), then that would seem to make the willy wag-tail the baddest mo-fo on the block. Look upon it's fearsome visage with awe:
http://thumbs.photo.net/photo/2879863-sm.jpg

Another point; sharks don't necessarily packhunt, but
they do tend to gather at the site of a ruckus.

Great Whites have been known to hunt in pairs on occasions, but in many respects they're more like a mammal than a fish. Reef sharks will hunt together in groups, but it's not what you'd call cooperative hunting (more like an angry mob).

BTW -- Sharks are the best extant velociraptor
'tooth-analogue' I know of. Are there any other candidates?

Monitor lizards come to mind.

Dann Pigdon