RE: Rooks cooperate to get treats

Personal observation (in N Florida, mid-December): two
owls in  dimmest pre-dawn light, working their way up
a gum tree in a swamp, leaping from branch-to-branch.
As they reach the top branches, a lone crow flees from
his perch and disappears into the southwestern sky.

In full daylight, a phalanx of 9 crows from the
southwestern quadrant, flying bee-line to that tree.

One owl flies away as the crows light on the tree, and
the crows follow it, and mob it. The other owl sits
tight, and is un-molested.

My conclusion -- crows communicate well.

Questions -- why was the singleton crow roosted so far
from his 'friends'? Did he know where they were, and
fly to them, or did he just fly in a random direction,
and form a lynch mob w/ the first crows he found?

IMO, either action is well within a crow's abilities.

Filed under "Still-hunting anecdotes"...

Don