Dakotadon lakotaensis, Dollodon bampingi and Pteraichnus koreanensis

have been finally published in the last issue (april) of Cretaceous Research. Here are the abstracts of both papers:

Gregory S. Paul. 2008. A revised taxonomy of the iguanodont dinosaur genera and species. Cretaceous Research, 29(2), 192-216.

Abstract
Criteria for designating dinosaur genera are inconsistent; some very similar species are highly split at the generic level, other anatomically disparate species are united at the same rank. Since the mid-1800s the classic genus Iguanodon has become a taxonomic grab-bag containing species spanning most of the Early Cretaceous of the northern hemisphere. Recently the genus was radically redesignated when the type was shifted from nondiagnostic English Valanginian teeth to a complete skull and skeleton of the heavily built, semi-quadrupedal I. bernissartensis from much younger Belgian sediments, even though the latter is very different in form from the gracile skeletal remains described by Mantell. Currently, iguanodont remains from Europe are usually assigned to either robust I. bernissartensis or gracile I. atherfieldensis, regardless of location or stage. A stratigraphic analysis is combined with a character census that shows the European iguanodonts are markedly more morphologically divergent than other dinosaur genera, and some appear phylogenetically more derived than others. Two new genera and a new species have been or are named for the gracile iguanodonts of the Wealden Supergroup; strongly bipedal Mantellisaurus atherfieldensis Paul (2006. Turning the old into the new: a separate genus for the gracile iguanodont from the Wealden of England. In: Carpenter, K. (Ed.), Horns and Beaks: Ceratopsian and Ornithopod Dinosaurs. Indiana University Press, Bloomington, pp. 69?77) (holotype BMNH R5764) which possesses a camptosaur-like ilial shape, and the long snouted, long bodied, small hipped, semi-bipedal Dollodon bampingi gen. nov. sp. nov. (holotype IRSNB 1551) which has a shallow ilium. Insufficiently diagnostic I. hoggii is removed from the earlier Camptosaurus. Poorly described I. dawsoni, I. fittoni and I. hollingtoniensis are removed from the much later and more derived Iguanodon and considered Ornithopoda incertae sedis pending redescription. The synonymy of I. fittoni and I. hollingtoniensis has not been confirmed. A set of remains of similar age to I. fittoniand I. hollingtoniensis appear to combine a specialized, elongate dentary with massive arms: it either belongs to one of the contemporary taxa, or is a new, unnamed taxon. There has recently been a tendency to consider iguanodonts spatially remote from I. bernissartensis to be members of or very similar to the type species, but reanalysis finds that I. orientalis is not a junior synonym of I. bernissartensis and is a nomen dubium, and that basal I. lakotaensis is not a member of Iguanodon and accordingly is assigned the new genus Dakotadon gen. nov. (holotype SDSM 8656). Dakotadon is probably basal to Iguanodon and not an iguanodontoid. The higher taxonomy of iguanodontoids is confused due to phylogenetic problems, and inconsistent definitions of the Iguanodontidae (which as currently defined appears to be limited to Iguanodon) and Hadrosauroidea. Mantellisaurus and especially Dollodon, for instance, are probably more derived than Iguanodon: they may be hadrosauroids depending on which phylogenetic definition of the term is preferred.

Yuong-Nam Lee, Hang-Jae Lee, Junchang Lu, Yoshitsugu Kobayashi. 2008. New pterosaur tracks from the Hasandong Formation (Lower Cretaceous) of Hadong County, South Korea. Cretaceous Research, 29(2), 345-353.

Abstract
In 2004, fifty new pterosaur tracks were discovered in the Hasandong Formation (Lower Cretaceous), South Korea. They are preserved as natural casts on the surface of an isolated dark grey mudstone block (70 × 50 cm). Manus and pes imprints are very small, averaging 25.6 mm and 25.7 mm long, respectively. The manus imprints (N = 25) are tridactyl and digit I, II, III are strongly asymmetric. Fully plantigrade pes imprints (N = 25) were left by elongate metatarsals with short four digits (the ratio of digit to whole pes length is 2.6). There is no trace of the 5th phalanx of the pes. As these features clearly distinguish the Hadong tracks from the type species of the ichnogenus Pteraichnus, we assign them to a new species, Pteraichnus koreanensis. They are stratigraphically the oldest pterosaur tracks in Korea and are distinguished by size and morphology from the two pterosaur ichnotaxa, Haenamichnus uhangriensis and Pteraichnus isp., previously reported from the Uhangri and Haman formations. Pteraichnus koreanensis is the smallest pterosaur track currently reported from Asia.

------------------------------------------- Jose Ignacio Ruiz-Omeñaca Museo del Jurásico de Asturias (MUJA) E-33328 Colunga, Spain www.museojurasicoasturias.com www.aragosaurus.com -------------------------------------------