RE: Paleogene Titanosaurs in South America? Paleogene ammonoids in the Persian Gulf? Not quite, but analogous...

> Tasmania, other southern Gondwanan provinces, and
> some regions of northern
> North America and Asia, underscores high-latitude
> regions as biodiversity
> refugia during global environmental crises and
> highlights their importance
> as sources of postextinction radiations.

I am not at all sure about NAm.

The rest is pretty much yeah, why not? Primary
producer, found in a region that probably was spared
the worst 65 mya, related organisms with very similar
mode of life and ecological niche survive to today.
Certainly, the odds for Oz "seedferns" surviving seem
much better than those for say NAm seabirds.

Does anyone know the phylogenetic placement of
Corystospermales? I think "seed ferns" are nowadays
assigned to 4-5 different lineages, 1-2 of which
is/are in the gymnosperm-angiosperm clade. But very
little seems known for sure; insofar the new fossil
may prove ultimately far more important in a
phylogenetic context than in a mass-extinction
context.
(Ibriefly looked up "seedfern" phylogeny some months
ago for a friend, and my impression was that there was
a basic agreement on their utter paraphyly, but very
little consensus on the actual relationships. They
seem to be an anatomical/life-history stage of higher
land plant evolution, still quite close to the base,
that several lineages passed through independently.)

Regards,

Eike

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail.
Der Lieblings-Mailbox der Welt.