The State of New Mexico

A very helpful individual suggested that people would be more willing
to write letters if they had samples to save some writing time.  There
are several reasons why I think people should write letters to get
more done with respect to Aetogate
(http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/nm/index.html), but I'll briefly
mention here only two.  SVP has no power over the museum or any of its
oversight agencies.  To assume that the state will act based on the
SVP ethics committee's report may be wishful thinking.  Hope is not a
plan.  Even if you think the state *should* act (or not) on SVP's
findings, it would be helpful to state that opinion to someone in a
position to bring said action about.  Second, this is, fortunately,
uncharted territory.  SVP is so ill-prepared to deal with the
situation that there's absolutely nothing in their ethics statement
that provides even guidelines let alone mandates.  Don't believe me?
Look for yourself:

http://www.vertpaleo.org/society/memberethics.cfm

I think it was fantastic that the members of the ethics committee
decided to look into the matter anyways.  I hope they are following a
process that we can all live with and that will provide a rationale
for the state of New Mexico to act.  But again... hope is not a plan.

If you would like to be a part of the solution and think a sample
letter would be helpful, please go to:

http://www.lifesci.ucsb.edu/~mrowe/dinosaur/LucasIncident.html

At the top is a link that will take you to the section (currently at
the bottom of the page) containing the sample.  If you choose to use
my text, please edit it to reflect your own opinions.

Thanks!

--
Mickey P. Rowe     (mrowe@lifesci.ucsb.edu)