RE: Paleogene Titanosaurs in South America? Paleogene ammonoids in the Persian Gulf? Not quite, but analogous...

> The key reference in this context is
>
> Hilton, J. And Bateman, R. M. 2006. Pteridosperms
> are the backbone of seed
> plant evolution. Journal of the Torrey Botanical
> Society 133: 119-168.
>
> Unfortunately I do not have a pdf of this journal
> (and would appreciate one
> from someone with access :-), but I xeroxed part of
> it. I can't place my

A HTML w/o images at least is here:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4017/is_200601/ai_n17173270/pg_1

> hands on it right now, but the gist of the analysis
> was that "pteridosperms"
> were a paraphyletic grade: they are all
> spermatophytes that aren't lucky
> enough to be angiosperms, bennittataleans,
> gnetaleans [which might be
> conifers...], conifers, cordaitaleans, cycads, or
> gingkos. So glossopterids
> are stem-angiosperms, for instance, while (if I
> recall correctly)
> medullosans were stem spermatophytes (i.e., outside
> of all living seed
> plants). Cannot recall where Corystospermales fit.

Ah, I refound what I had found then:
http://www.seedbiology.de/images/seedplantevolution.gif
(@U Freiburg seed evo group)

It is also largely based on the 2006 paper it seems;
the gist of it is the same as your summary.
Unfortunately, Corystospermales are not mentioned.

Regards,

Eike

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail.
Der Lieblings-Mailbox der Welt.