Re: birds and dinosaurs

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 8:48 PM,  <hammeris1@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Okay, sloppy talk, but in every current schoolbook in the K12,
>  TODAY, birds are not classified as reptiles . . .
>  If dinosaurs are reptiles, do we need to update all the textbooks ASAP?

For those who use phylogenetic nomenclature, there are two schools of
thought here.

1) _Reptilia_ should be defined as a crown clade including the
traditional "reptiles": crocodylians, testudines, squamates, and
tuataras. As a clade, it would have to include birds.
2) The name "Reptilia" should only be used informally; it should not
be used as a clade name.

There was a lengthy discussion on this issue on the ISPN forum:

    http://phylonames.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34

>  I'm easy either way - but if the poster is trying to do a PPT chart for
> teens . . .

I'd skip over that issue entirely (but prepare some kind of answer in
case someone in the audience asks).

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology