Re: Thanks to everyone

I've decided that I'm going to tell them that "dinosaur" does not mean any prehistoric animal, but a specific group unified by several small skeletal details (for example, the fused vertebrae mentioned on the website of one of the posters here) that all dinosaurs inherited from a common ancestor about 230 million years ago. I will tell them that any descendent of that ancestor is a true dinosaur.

Rather make it the other way around: that ancestor, and all its descendants, are dinosaurs; which animals are descendants and which are not can be _recognized_ by those features. Emphasize the distinction between what _is_ and how we _know_ about it.