Re: correct this "definition"

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:37 PM, T. Michael Keesey <keesey@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I think this is a point that bears repeating: this is a diagnosis, not
>  a definition.

Well, one *could* define something by a diagnostic feature (ou a
diagnostic set of features).

I propose that we define the following terms as bellow:
- name: a symbol that is used in refference to something or a set of objects;
- definition: declaration of a sufficient *and* necessary condition
(or a set of conditions) [to name something];
- diagnosis: declaration of a *sufficient* condition (or a set of conditions);
- conceptualization: declaration of a *necessary* condition (or a set
of conditions);
- meaning: declaration of the set of necessary and/or sufficient conditions;
- identification: to apply a process of diagnosis to name something.

[]s,

Roberto Takata