Re: Geophlyobuilder

--- Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> schrieb:

> evelyn sobielski writes:
>
> > Now this sounds interesting... if it can be
> integrated
> > with paleomap overlays, that is:
> >
> > Geophylobuilder 1.0: an Arcgis extension for
> creating
> > &#8216;geophylogenies&#8217;
> > DAVID M. KIDD and XIANHUA LIU
> > doi:10.1111/j.1471-8286.2007.01925.x
> >

> I wonder where you can get digital data representing
> past continental
> positions?

I don't think they're available (yet), mainly for lack
of software to stuff them in. I guess though that by
and by it's gonna change.

> And what happens if your fossil dataset
> spans such a long period
> of time that continents change positions
> dramatically? Your typical GIS
> doesn't handle temporal changes very well.

Yeah, it's useless for deep-time analyses. But for an
interval of 10-20 Ma it may be helpful. N hemisphere
sauropods? Perhaps Enantiornithes - it would be a
*real* help there but I don't know if it can handle
transoceanic dispersal (which we have there already,
though it is limited in scope and I'd guess that this
ability is an apomorphy largely limited to the
_Avisaurus_ neighborhood).

Regards,

Eike

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail.