On the subject of mysterious absences...

If I may weigh in on a related issue, I've noticed another thing that would seem to be missing from Mesozoic times.

Today's marine mammals usually include a variety of small toothed forms along with filter-feeding varieties. Filter feeders actually tend to account for the largest animals in just about any oceanic environment you find today.

Yet in the Mesozoic, even the biggest pliosaurs, mosasaurs, ichthyosaurs, etc. are still toothy. Where are all the "baleen kronosaurs" that ought to show up?

-Jamie Stearns