Re: No Mesozoic rainforests?

evelyn sobielski writes:

Didn't they find a "rainforest" way up in Colorado
dated only about 1.4 million years after the K/T?
This suggests that rainforests were not confined to
the Equator during the earliest Paleogene. I can't
imagine things being wildly different in the
Cretaceous, or at least the Maastrichian.

You have rainforest in British Columbia today. But that's an entirely different biome than what most people would think of on hearing the word "rainforest".

Indeed. We have temperate rainforests here in south eastern Australia, especially in Tasmania. They're a lot colder and damper than most people would expect of a 'typical' (ie. tropical) rainforest, with very different vegetation regimes.

Dann Pigdon