Re: On the subject of mysterious absences...The Answer

I typed too soon. Here's part of a post on vrtpaleo from Christine Janis
on this topic. -- Dan

"Not a mystery as to why no marine reptile became a filter feeder. Check out
this ref

Collin, R. and C. M. Janis (1997). Morphological constraints on tetrapod
feeding mechanisms. Why were there no suspension-feeding marine reptiles? In:
J.M. Callaway and E.L.Nicholls, (eds), Ancient Marine Reptiles.  Academic
Press, New York. Pp. 451-466.

  Briefly: if you want to filter feed without gills, you need to take in a
large amount of water and then somehow stop it going down your gullet before
you spit it out past filtering surfaces such as baleen . Only mammals can do
this, as only they have seals that shut off the back of the throat (such as you
use when you gargle) -- probably evolved in association with suckling."