Re: Source of KT asteroid pdf

It's not that simple. It depends both upon the distribution of the total volumes of matter within the two volumes of space, and the fact that perturbations resulting in elliptical orbits cause matter to funnel into a smaller volume of space as they approach the sun (and Earth).

JimC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Chure" <danchure@easilink.com>
To: <adam@crowlspace.com>
Cc: <cowen@blueoakfarm.com>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: Source of KT asteroid pdf

If both inner asteroid belt and Kuiper belt collisions produced impactor candidates, I suppose given the vastly greater distances and thus volume of space and much smaller target area (Earth) in that larger volume of space, there is a higher likelihood that an object from the inner belt would strike our planet.