Re: On the subject of mysterious absences...The Answer

--- David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> >  Briefly: if you want to filter feed without
> gills,
>
> Of course, there's always *Leedsichthys*, the
> Jurassic pachycormiform
> teleost that reached whale dimensions and was a
> filter-feeder.
>
> > you need to take in a large amount of water and
> then somehow stop it going
> > down your gullet before you spit it out past
> filtering surfaces such as
> > baleen . Only mammals can do this, as only they
> have seals that shut off
> > the back of the throat (such as you use when you
> gargle) -- probably
> > evolved in association with suckling."
>
> Don't crocodiles have the same?

Yep (the palatal valve). Which makes it all the more
interesting to note that one of the other known (or at
least expected) filter feeding reptiles of prehistory
happens to have been a crocodyliforme
(_Stomatosuchus_).

Jason

Be a better friend, newshound, and