Re: No Mesozoic rainforests?

Also of some interest is the fact that large amounts of modern tropical rainforest biomass are tied up in epiphytes. To the best of my knowledge, there is no good evidence for epiphytes in the Mesozoic, but then again it is probably another absence of evidence issue: epiphytic groups have poor fossil records, and identifying a fossil form as having lived as an epiphyte is quite difficult, I'd imagine.

Cheers,

--Mike H.

A kind of subtropical montane rainforest, with
gymnosperms, treeferns and Fagales, would have been
possible in the northern Andes for example. But such
forest would probably be limited in distribution, both
locally and on a global scale.

Michael Habib, M.S.
PhD. Candidate
Center for Functional Anatomy and Evolution
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
1830 E. Monument Street
Baltimore, MD 21205
(443) 280 0181