RE: No Mesozoic rainforests?

http://www.phylodiversity.net/donoghue/publications/MJD_papers/2005/148_Davis_AmNat05.pdf

> According to the literature cited in the paper,
> pre-K/T rainforests probably did indeed exist,
> including east of the Western Interior Seaway.
> Vegetation west of the Seaway, on the other hand,
> seems to have been more "subhumid" (I'm guessing a
> short dry season). The main study of the paper
> suggests that a certain clade of angiosperms
> exclusive to rainforests can be traced back to the
> Cretaceous

Malpighiales - also part of eurosid clade I. Includes
for example screwpines, maracuja and (in the namesake
Malpighiaceae) acerola which is one of the "shooting
star" tropical rainforest crops of the last 5 years or
so. Except if you live in tropical America; then you
probably know it well.

Regards,

Eike

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail.