Re: The Theropod Archives, a PDF library for theropod researchers

Works published in the US before 1923 are in the public domain.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of variables for other publications.
Check out the link below for a brief summary:

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/public_domain/

--

Dennis R. Ruez, Jr.
Department of Geology and Geography

>>> On 4/23/2008 at 12:27 PM, Rob Taylor <rjtaylor68@comcast.net>
wrote:
> Dear fellow Listers:
>

> I recently emailed Ken Carpenter in regard to his Ankylosaur PDF
library,
> which he brought to the attention of the DML on 17 March 2008. As an

> unanticipated consequence, I now find myself working on a similar
Web-based
> resource for theropod works. The project is still in the "humble
beginnings"

> stage, but perhaps has been fleshed out enough to "go live" with it.
While
> developing the site, I made a decision to slightly expand upon Ken's
model,
> but now find myself second-guessing what I have done. I'm writing the
List
> to seek informed opinions/advice over the legality of this particular

> implementation with respect to copyright law, and also to inquire
about
> proper etiquette. I thought I would briefly describe the site, detail
a few
> of my concerns, and put my questions to those among you who are
published
> authors, or who at least have a better understanding of these issues
than I.

> How the site works:
>

> If you've seen Ken's ankylosaur site, the look and feel is much the
same. I
> followed Ken's lead in loading only works that have been around 50
years or
> more. However, I also decided to provide external links to PDFs that
are
> freely available online (regardless of the age of the published works

> contained therein), with the caveat that said PDFs must appear to be

> distributed legally. My loose rule for determining "legal
distribution" is
> that the PDF must be located either 1) on someone's CV page or list
of
> publications; or 2) at a journal site with open access content.
External
> links are denoted with special color coding to make it apparent that
these
> PDFs are not being provided directly.
>

> My concerns:
>

> 1.      Is 50 years generally accepted as a reasonable number for
> determining whether a work is in the public domain? From my Internet

> research on the law here in the States, I think it's likely that a
majority
> of the works authored before 1964 would have entered the public
domain by
> 1992, but there is also the possibility that the copyrights for some
of
> these works were renewed, and that they are still protected. I'm not
sure
> how to tell if that's the case, and when you're looking at the works
of
> deceased authors - and/or works from now defunct publishing houses -
is it
> even realistic that you could contact someone to inquire? I have also

> considered the possibility that publications from other countries may
have
> different durations for copyright protection than we do here in the
U.S.,
> but have not yet looked into this.
>
> 2.      My links to external (freely-available) PDFs go directly to
the URLs
> for the PDF files themselves. I set it up this way for the
convenience of
> the user, but wonder if it might be better practice to link not to a
PDF
> directly, but to the page offering it. Also, in the event that a PDF

> originates from a CV page, is it necessary or considered good form to

> request permission to link to it? I have only a limited amount of
time to
> work on the site (even less with the addition of a new family member
on
> Monday). Needless to say, I would like to focus my energies on
expanding the

> offerings as rapidly as possible. Should an emailing campaign to
obtain
> permissions be part of the equation, I might look to enlist a helper,
or
> would simply need to expand the site's content at a dramatically
slower
> pace.
>

> I am hoping that such a Web site would be welcomed by the DML
community and
> found to be a useful resource. I haven't the background to contribute

> knowledgeably on the List's science-heavy threads, but I've learned a

> tremendous amount by reading them. I'd enjoy the opportunity to give
> little something back. It then boils down to whether it's possible to
offer
> such a resource without risking any copyright infringement. As a
stopgap
> measure while I attempt to learn more, I've added language stating
that I
> will promptly remove any PDF or link whose inclusion is deemed
objectionable

> by any party directly associated with the work. (Probably affords
little
> real protection, but at least demonstrates my willingness and desire
> adhere to the rules.)
>

> Some final thoughts, pertaining to issues of visibility and
accessibility:
> If, as I hope, all that I've described can be done fully aboveboard,
I would