Re: question about Longisquama plumes

David Peters (davidpeters@att.net) wrote:

<Various authors have stated that the plumes of Longisquama were paired
structures. Can anyone produce a tracing or sketch of the fossil that indicates
where the second set of plumes might be located? Sharov (1970) drew only one
parasagittal set of plumes.>

  Sharov assumed there were two, as the original paper indicated. Further
papers found more isolated "plumes" and they were follwed by workers conceiving
the structures as akin to "wings" (hence the allusion to structural feather
analogs). I think it was Haubold who first conceived of the structures as
arranged into a sail-like system, but I don't think any have conceived of them
as an appendage.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/