Re: Are dinosaurs really reptiles? (2)

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 10:34 AM, David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
> > What series of taxa do you all think precedes Petrolacosaurus?
>
>  If by "precede" you mean "are sauropsids less closely related to the
> diapsid crown-group than *Petrolacosaurus* is", then I, too, will defer to
> MÃller & Reisz (2006), with the caveat
> [...]
>
>  If not, then please explain what you mean -- surely you don't simply mean
> "are older" by "precede"?

"Precede" can also mean "is ancestral to", in which case the answer is
fairly obvious: the ancestral araeoscelidan, the ancestral
(apo-)diapsid, the ancestral crown-sauropsid, the ancestral sauropsid,
the ancestral amniote, the ancestral apo-amniote, the ancestral
pan-amniote, the ancestral (crown-)tetrapod, the ancestral
apo-tetrapod, the ancestral pan-tetrapod .... on back to the ancestor
of all known terrestrial life.
--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology