Re: Are dinosaurs really reptiles? (2)

David Marjanovic writes:

So pangolin scales were completely re-evolved?

They're just fused hairs, like rhino horns.

I'm not sure I'd describe them as 'just' fused hairs. Rhino horns are relatively simple structures in comparison. Pangolins have a complete suit of overlapping scales that any self-respecting reptile (or pinecone for that matter) would envy.

Does anyone has access to this paper?

J. Tong, L.Q. Ren and B.C. Chen 1995 "Chemical constitution and abrasive wear behaviour of pangolin scales". Journal of Materials Science Letters 14(20): 1468-1470
http://www.springerlink.com/content/p32728721265622v/

Dann Pigdon