RE: Eoconfuciusornis, Paraprotopteryx, Pengornis, Aberratiodontus and other basal birds

Mickey Mortimer wrote:

> [snip] Protarchaeopterygidae (Incisivosaurus and Protarchaeopteryx) as the
> ultimate outgroup.

Clade Protarchaeopterygidae has not been named yet, AFAIK.

> Wyleyia being a dromaeosaurid is an intriguing result.

Soon you'll be able to put _Yaverlandia_ in your matrix.  :-)

> Eoconfuciusornis was just described last month. Zhang et al. claim it to be a
> stem-confuciusornithid (outside the Confuciusornis +
> Changchengornis clade). [snip] The only seemingly valid character is the
> lower
> deltopectoral crest. In my analysis, it comes out closer to Confuciusornis
> than to Changchengornis, the latter which may not even be a
> confuciusornithid. This is based on manual
> phalanx II-2 being longer than II-1 (a primitive character, but a reversal
> since Jixiangornis, Dalianraptor, Yandangornis and
> omnivoropterygids have short II-2 phalanges), as well as the non-included
> characters enlarged surangular foramen, furcular arm
> with>20% of arm length, and manual phalanx II-2 bowed.

There is the matter of the toothless beak, shared by _Confuciusornis_ and
_Changchengornis_ (and _Eoconfuciusornis_ too).  Then again, this re-evolved
many times in theropod phylogeny, so why not one more time?

>juvenile enantiornithines like GMV-2159, Jibeinia and Protopteryx have
>elongate retrices. I would argue it's a juvenile Confuciusornis if not
> or the coracoid foramen, apparently well developed dorsal ulnar condyle, and
> pubic foot.

_Changchengornis_ is also reported to have a longer hallux than
_Confuciusornis_, thus making it a better 'percher'.

> Paraprotopteryx was described last year by Zheng et al. and said to be most
> closely related to Protopteryx

(_Paraprotopteryx_, _Protarcharchaeopteryx_, _Eoconfuciusornis_.... you have to
marvel at the inventiveness of these names_).

As for the tree, I like the idea of _Pedopenna_ as a basal avialan, but
_Archaeopteryx_ as the basal avian.  It's interesting that _Enaliornis_ falls
out of the Hesperornithes, and that _Chaoyangia_ comes out as an avisaurid.

Cheers

Tim
http://www.gowindowslive.com/Mobile/Landing/Messenger/Default.aspx?Locale=en-US?ocid=TAG_APRIL