RE: Hadrosaurs outgrew tyrannosaurs

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of GUY LEAHY
>
> Interesting work!  Here is the press release:
>
> http://news.research.ohiou.edu/news/index.php?item=501
>
> And the full paper:
>
> http://journals.royalsociety.org/content/t68465274748300k/fulltext.pdf

A great study, but unfortunately they have the evolutionary polarity of the
situation reversed. As I showed at SVP 2004, and at the Black Hills
Conference, and in a paper which I REAALLLYYY need to finish up and submit
(!!) tyrannosaurids are the weird ones, not hadrosaurids.

In brief: early initiation of rapid growth rate is found in ornithischians,
sauropodomorphs, basal theropods, carnosaurs, basal maniraptorans, and basal
tyrannosauroids. A delayed initiation of rapid growth rates occurs in
tyrannosaurids.

So it isn't hadrosaurids that evovled an early initiation of rapid growth
rates; they simply inherited it. That is not say that it wasn't maintained
for the exactly the reasons stated in their paper, however.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/