Re: JFC-Bloodiest Battle ??

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:31:36AM +0200, David Marjanovic scripsit:
>> Given the high growth rates being found by bone studies, and the
>> consequent high metabolisms, the "how often" number is "days, not
>> weeks"; given the relatively small number of sauropods (the number might
>> be less than 1! 30 ton Apatosaur versus 1 ton Allosaur; the Allosaur
>> isn't going to eat ten times its body weight in a year, and there has to
>> be at least that much food on an Apatosaur
>
> How realistic is this mass estimate? After all, it hasn't changed since
> the times when "*Brontosaurus*" was considered a camarasaurid. All those
> ancient books for children give it 30 t! Sure, *A.* was a lot more
> athletic than *Diplodocus*, so the 10 tons frequently estimated for the
> latter are probably too low, but three times that is a bit hard to
> believe.

I don't know how accurate that number is, and it's going to vary a lot
anyway, since the preferred prey choice (if a prey choice their be)
isn't going to be the big old fully mature bull Apatosaur, since that's
presumably the toughest choice.  It'd be something easier.

It could be 10 t without substantially altering the point; a 5 kg cat
(with a faster metabolism, just on size) might eat 50 kg of food in a
year but not 100kg.  So the 1 ton Allosaur isn't going to go over 20
tons, and probably very much less.  (100 kg human at ~2kg/day isn't
going to hit 1000 kg/year, and the curve will keep dipping...)

-- Graydon