AW: Oryctos Is Back

Andrzej Elzanowski, The avian femur: morphology and terminology of the lateral
condyle. Oryctos 7, 1-5.

Nice to know.

Richard Hinchliffe, Bird wing digits & their homologies: reassessment of
developmental evidence for a 2,3,4 identity. Oryctos 7, 7-12.

I would like to see how he found this out. How is the situation in
* crocs
* lizards
* snakes (what do the *genes* do there?)
* platypus
[* Pig-footed Bandicoot (Hah! But arguably you'd VERY much want to have THIS in
too.)]
* domestic dog

Kenneth E. Campbell, The manus of Archaeopterygians: implications for avian
ancestry. Oryctos 7, 13-26.

It might have been nice to include a pro-1,2,3,4 paper instead. Regardless, did
he include scansoriopterygids (+ the WHOLE diversity of birds older than 100
Ma)? Because otherwise Archie is, due to its completely unclear (except "closer
than _Rahonavis_" and such) relation to Neornithes, a rather lame choice.

David A. Burnham, A review of the Early Cretaceous Jehol Group on northeastern
China and a revision of concerning the origin of flight paradigm. Oryctos 7,
27-43.

There might be something interesting in there, but I think much of it has been
said before.

Larry D. Martin, Origins of avian flight â a new perspective. Oryctos 7,
45-54.

Let me spell it out again: "scansoriopterygids". It is not THAT hard. They're
even juvies, just as we'd need them for devo-anatomy studies!

Attila Ãsi, Enantiornithine bird remains from the Late Cretaceous of Hungary.
Oryctos 7, 55-60.

Hear hear! Good work. If a cladistic analysis is included, splendid work
indeed. Taxa like _Wyleyia_ and each and every Hungarian and Romanian Mesozoic
"odd theroipodish thing" deserve to be included when one is at it. The Mesozoic
avifauna of the Southeast European archipelago(es) is *very* interesting. And I
suppose therein lies the key to a lot else too - widespread transoceanic
dispersal was not common among birds until the mid-late Cretaceous. The easiest
way to get there from anywhere really *old* birds are known involved generous
island hopping at least. Habitat - think Gulf of Tonkin with less advanced
angiosperms.

Larry D. Martin & Virginia L. Naples, Mandibular kinesis in Hesperornis.
Oryctos 7, 61-65.

Nice to know. Also would argue against any relation to any Neornithes.

Gerald Mayr, The higher-level phylogeny of birds - when morphology,
molecules,and fossils coincide. Oryctos 7, 67-74.

He has published quite some on this issue recently. Good to see that someone
points out how much of the data actually *does* agree. But if you have followed
the issue, there is likely little new here.

Eric Buffetaut, First evidence of the giant bird Gastornis from southern
Europe: a tibiotarsus from the Lower Eocene of Saint-Papoul (Aude, southern
France). Oryctos 7, 75-82.

This is nice to know. See
Dughi & Sirugue (1959) Sur des fragments de coquilles d'oeufs fossiles de
l'EocÃne de Basse-Provence. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 249: 959-961
and
Fabre-Taxy & Touraine (1960) Gisements d'Åufs d'Oiseaux de trÃs grande taille
dans l'EocÃne de Provence. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 250(23): 3870-3871
for the eggs I think he refers to.

Kazuhiko Sakurai, Masaichi Kimura & Takayuki Katoh, A new penguin-like bird
(Pelecaniformes:Plotopteridae) from the Late Oligocene Tokoro Formation,
northeastern Hokkaido, Japan. Oryctos 7, 83-94.

Always good to have.

Ursula B. GÃhlich & Marco Pavia, A new species of Palaeortyx (Aves:
Galliformes: Phasianidae) from the Neogene of Gargano, Italy. Oryctos 7, 95-108.

Early or late Gargano fauna? The abstract does not tell :(

Carolina Acosta Hospitaleche & Claudia Tambussi,South American fossil penguins:
a systematic update. Oryctos 7, 109-127.

"During the last few years, we have worked on the systematics and paleobiology
of the South American and Antarctic fossil penguins."- Indeed. Good to see the
effort was fruitful.

Stig A. Walsh, Norman MacLeod & Mark OâNeill, Analysis of spheniscid humerus
and tarsometatarsus morphological variability using DAISY automated image
recognition. Oryctos 7, 129-136.

(to explain: the tarsometatarsus of penguins fossilizes extremely well by bird
standards, but it is known to vary much within species.)

Claudia Patricia Tambussi & Carolina Acosta Hospitaleche, Skull shape analysis
and diet of South American fossil penguins (Sphenisciformes). Oryctos 7,
137-145.

This is also liable to be very nice.

Antoine Louchart, Yohannes Haile-Selassie, Patrick Vignaud, Andossa Likius &
Michel Brunet, Fossil birds from the Late Miocene of Chad and Ethiopia and
zoogeographical implications. Oryctos 7, 147-167.

Nothing revolutionary, but good to have.

CÃcile Mourer-Chauvirà & Denis Geraads, The Struthionidae and Pelagornithidae
(Aves: Struthioniformes, Odontopterygiformes) from the late Pliocene of Ahl Al
Oughlam, Morocco. Oryctos 7, 169-187.

_Struthio asiaticus_? Not one of the proto-_camelus_ lineages? THAT I would
very much like to see!

Walter E. Boles, Systematics of the fossil Australian giant megapodes Progura
(Aves: Megapodiidae). Oryctos 7, 191-211.

This is a long-awaited paper; most people interested in this stuff will
probably know the results.

Nikita V. Zelenkov, Evgeny N. Kurochkin, Alexander A. Karhu & Peter Ballmann,
Birds of the Late Pleistocene and Holocene from the Palaeolithic Djuktai Cave
site of Yakutia, Eastern Siberia. Oryctos 7, 213-222.

COLD steppe for musch of the time that is.

Joanne H. Cooper & Alan J. D. Tennyson, Wrecks and residents: the fossil gadfly
petrels (Pterodroma spp.) of the Chatham Islands, New Zealand. Oryctos 7,
223-244.

I *think* I have seen more on this unnamed extinct sp. in Notornis or NZJZ.

Tommy Tyrberg, The Late Pleistocene Continental Avian extinction â an
evaluation of the fossil evidence. Oryctos 7, 245-265.

Looks very nice. Tommy, do you have a PDF?

Vasily A. Ilyinsky, Locomotor Adaptations in the Hindlimbs of Owls: the
Burrowing Owl (Athene cunicularia), compared to the Little Owl (Athene noctua).
Oryctos 7, 267-272.

Mascarene, Caribbean, Mediterranean and Hawaiian prehistoric taxa might be
ivestigated in this light.

Regards,

Eike