Re: Alvarezsaurid arms was Re: JFC-Bloodiest Battle ??

Quoting Dan Chure <danchure@easilink.com>:

> Then again, maybe they are used in locomotion.  They could  function
> like a tree surgeon's boot spike to hold onto the bark of trees while
> climbing.

Maybe - but these strike me as having been *very* cursorial creatures. Most
creatures that use their
forelimbs to climb have relatively long arms, with multiple claws and a much
greater range of motion
than Alvarezsaurs appear to have been capable of.

Perhaps if they had a scent gland on their chest, such a close tree-hug would
be useful to smear it onto
trees to mark territory. But now we're getting even further into the realms of
speculation.

> Dann Pigdon wrote:
> > There is of course always the possibility that Alvarezsaur forelimbs
> weren't used for feeding
> > behaviours at all. It's possible they were used primarily for intraspecific
> wrestling matches, like an
> > archosaurian kangaroo.

Dann Pigdon