Re: Oryctos Is Back

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Williams" <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:45 AM

This issue of _Oryctos_ is stacked with BANDit/MANIAC boilerplate. Larry Martin's abstract says it all...

[...]

(a) there is no evidence that _Microraptor_ actually adopted Beebe's 'tetrapteryx' pose, since this required the femora to be laterally splayed;

In 2006, at the 2nd International Palaeontological Congress, Larry Martin told me that he had some ongoing work on 50 specimens (!) that showed *Microraptor* was _too_ capable of sprawling. This was, IIRC, supposed to be published soon; in any case I didn't get another answer when I asked how sprawling was compatible with the photos in Hwang et al. (2002).

I'm not holding my breath anymore...