Re: Oryctos Is Back

> Total-evidence approach. Throw it all together and see
> which signal is
> strongest.

The biogeography doesn't seem right. Dispersal of semi-volant microtheropods
around the J-K boundary would be predominantly E -> W IIRC and they'd have to
do a generous bit of ocean crossing for which they were not well-equipped.

What seems certain is that highly interesting marerial is liable to occur in
the E slope of the Urals. And perhaps also in some former islands in C Europe,
but I think many have been rather well-explored.

Range extensions of smaller mammals in the Great American Interchanges might
give some idea of the time involved.

> What do you mean? Fusion in adults is the plesiomorphic
> condition here, and
> a joint the derived one. (Also found in *Rahonavis* and
> some or all of the
> Chinese long-tailed "birds", I forgot which ones.
> Not found in *Sapeornis*
> or confuciusornithids.)

What I mean is how to score the difference between enantis and euornis. Not as
a binary character (fusion/joint).

How well is tarsometatarsus evolution documented?

Regards,

Eike