Re: Oryctos Is Back

Total-evidence approach. Throw it all together and see
which signal is strongest.

The biogeography doesn't seem right. Dispersal of semi-volant microtheropods around the J-K boundary would be predominantly E -> W IIRC and they'd have to do a generous bit of ocean crossing for which they were not well-equipped.

Then maybe the dispersal just happened earlier.

What seems certain is that highly interesting marerial is liable to occur in the E slope of the Urals. And perhaps also in some former islands in C Europe, but I think many have been rather well-explored.

There are extremely few sites from the J-K boundary.

What do you mean? Fusion in adults is the plesiomorphic
condition here, and
a joint the derived one. (Also found in *Rahonavis* and
some or all of the
Chinese long-tailed "birds", I forgot which ones.
Not found in *Sapeornis*
or confuciusornithids.)

What I mean is how to score the difference between enantis and euornis. Not as a binary character (fusion/joint).

Indeed not. There's suture/fusion, a joint with flat surfaces (*Jibeinia* has that if I remember correctly), a joint with a peg on the coracoid and a socket on the scapula (seen in enantis and the "long-tailed birds"), and a joint with a socket on the coracoid and a peg on the scapula (seen in Euornithes).

How well is tarsometatarsus evolution documented?

Very. Why?