RE: Campbell's even crazier than a MANIAC?

Mickey Mortimer wrote:

> Because "With the rotation
> of the digits and other modifications to the manus, the use of the unguals
> for grasping in the traditional
> sense was lost. That is, the use of the unguals to grasp prey, or vegetation
> for climbing in the normal
> manner, does not work because the unguals now point anteriad, ..."

Silly question.... but how would _Archaeopteryx_ climb trees without using its
hands "in the normal manner"?  Curiously, a climbing _Archaeopteryx_ has been
integral to the idea of a "trees-down" origin of flight for birds, which
Campbell (following Martin and Feduccia) are pushing - as opposed to a
"ground-up" origin.

(BTW, I'm not necessarily arguing against a "trees-down" origin of flight.
However, despite what has sometimes been asserted, "trees-down" is not at odds
with "ground-up" [because pro-avians may have exhibited both 'cursorial' and
'arboreal' behaviors to varying degrees], and "trees-down" is entirely
compatible with birds being theropod dinosaurs.)

Cheers

Tim
Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you.  Find new ways to share.
http://www.windowslive.com/explore/photogallery/posts?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Photo_Gallery_082008