Re: questions about the Odontochelys study

Mike Keesey wrote:

> > And I don't recommend making such a name up just
> yet :-)
>
> Why not, as long as the definition collapses should
> archosaurs prove
> to be descended from the final common ancestor of
> testudines and lepidosaurs?

I agree.  Including the right negative/external specifiers in each definition
would ensure that a Testudinata-Archosauria clade and a
Testudinata-Lepidosauria clade were mutually exclusive.  The respective
definitions would ensure that only one (at most) could be used in any topology.
 This allows a given name to be explicitly linked to a specific phylogenetic
hypothesis (turtles closer to archosaurs than to lepidosaursm or vice versa).

For example, if a Testudinata-Archosauria clade (let's call it 'Chelarchia')
was defined as the least inclusive clade that includes turtles and birds, but
not lizards, and a Testudinata-Lepidosauria clade ('Chelolepida') was defined
as the least inclusive clade to include turtles and lizards, but not birds,
then if the former clade was recovered, then Chelolepida would collapse
(self-destruct).

If turtles (Testudinata) were recovered as outside the Archosauria+Lepidosauria
clade (a third phylogenetic hypothesis), then neither name is viable.

Cheers

Tim