Re: questions about the Odontochelys study

If placodonts (cyamodonts) then the teeth are wrong, etc. etc. If
nothosaurs and plesiosaurs, well... um... I'm still looking for some
synapomorphies.

I'll put it bluntly: Only Robert Carroll has the right to believe that "sister-group" is another word for "ancestor". I know Bob Carroll, I... uh... met him once, and you, sir, are no Bob Carroll! :o)

Wouldn't something slow and lumbering fit better?

That's just one character.

I'll dig up deBraga & Rieppel 1997 in an hour or two and try to post some synapomorphy lists and the tree.