Re: questions about the Odontochelys study

The thyroid fenestra is present in Recent turtles, but Romer 1956 says
the fenestra was too small in Proganochelys, so perhaps that count as
that it was absent. Gaffney 1990 calls thyroid fenestra to something
that incloses the obturator foramen, and is accepted as artificially
enlarged, this sounds to me that there is just an obturator foramen
and no thyroid fenestra.

In any case, if in turtles the increase of the thyroid fenestra
results from enlargement of the obturator foramen, we have a situation
"primarily" homological (although not strictly homologous) with that
of mammals.