Re: New paper on fish fingers

David Marjanovic wrote:

<> But wait. It can easily be argued that the costal plates are there and fused
to the ribs, rather than the ribs being broadened (as they are in
*Eunotosaurus* and *Pumiliopareia*); that would mean it has the same carapace
morphology as *Chinlechelys*, except that it lacks the peripherals, the nuchal
and the pygal (which are undoubted osteoderms) as well as the neck & tail
spikes.>

  David, I think ou are trying to argue for the ribs + plates in *Odontochelys*
based solely on their similar appearance. Note that the *Chinlechelys* authors
made their allusion to independant ossification ONLY because they observed
sutures between the elements. You have not even gone that far, but are
inferring more based on our observations. Note that nuchal plates in
*Odontochelys* are apparent, distinct, and textured, while the ribs appear to
have a unique morphology, which may or may not have anything to do with them
being fused to plates. You have a LONG way to climb just to make a thesis
regarding coossification in *Odontochelys*.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden