Re: No Jurassic Park IV

Augusto Haro wrote:

I suppose you are right, because that Bakker's copy was somewhat
orthodox at these times in saying dinos did not cared their children.
But it is clear what the style and physical similarity tried to point
towards. I am suspecting perhaps Bakker didn't want to help Spielberg
with this movie and then Spielberg, in revenge, showed him defending
theories contrary to those he held and being coward.<<<

To which Jason replied:

You're partly right. The way I remember it, Bakker tried to take
credit for
consulting on the film (even though it was Horner that was the consultant),
including insinuating himself in some of the JP merchandising (e.g. JP the game
for the Sega CD), so someone on the JP staff "got back" at him by placing him in
the sequel.<<<

I was interning at Dinamation International Society during some of the relevant time here, and FWIW Bob Bakker actually cooperated with the production of JP2, allowing Thomas Duffy (the actor playing him) to join his dig for a week so he could develop the character. I don't know how he felt about the final film portrayal, as I never heard him comment on it.

It's true that Bob (and his publicist) made a fair bit of noise about being "a consultant" on Jurassic Park; apparently some of the artists at ILM and/or Winston Studios called him personally to ask for advice on the dinosaurs, which would make the claim true in essence, if not exactly what many might assume (i.e. that he was the paid scientific consultant to the production, which of course Jack Horner was).

Jack Horner has publicly claimed that he "got Bob Bakker eaten in JP2", so I'm not sure whether the idea was his, or if (as Jason suggested) someone else in production was irritated from the first movie and inserted the character in (it would seem like this would have to be one of the writers or else Spielberg himself, as scripts are not usually free-for-alls...well, JP3 excepted).

Well, that's the entirety of my insider's gossip. Anyone else want to share?

Scott Hartman Science Director Wyoming Dinosaur Center 110 Carter Ranch Rd. Thermopolis, WY 82443 (800) 455-3466 ext. 230 Cell: (307) 921-8333

www.skeletaldrawing.com