Fw: An odd paper request

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dawid Mazurek" <dawidmazurek@wp.pl>
To: <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 8:16 AM
Subject: Re: An odd paper request

I haven't read enough of the paper to tell if it requires the assumptions that the fossil record _and_ our knowledge of it are nearly complete... though stratophenetics does, and Dzik is, as far as I know, the world's leading proponent of stratophenetics... (Stratophenetics is, if I've understood it correctly, an attempt to take the old approach of "just seeing" phylogeny in the fossil record and make it quantifiable.)

Well, I think that stratophenecist doesn't assumpt that the fossil record is ideal, he just assumpts that no major turnovers have happend when we had our eyes closed. It's just strict parsimony. Occam's Razor makes stratophenecist to connect all the taxons using as small amount of lines as possible. I see it that way, though I wouldn't call myself a stratophenetics sympathizer.
DM