RE: Austroraptor cabazai

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@umd.edu> wrote:

> Previously referenced on the DML here:
> http://dml.cmnh.org/2005Oct/msg00259.html

I'd like to take this opportunity to jump on Tom's bandwagon.  The absurdly
short forelimbs of _Austroraptor_ at first made me think "secondarily
flightless!"

However, in this case, the secondary reduction in forelimb length may be
associated with _Austroraptor_'s ecology.  To me, the spinosaurid-like teeth
(also rather archaeopterygid-like) suggests a preference for small prey.  In
general, maniraptoran forelimbs (especially the hands) don't appear to have
been very well adapted for grasping small prey.  So unless they were turned
toward other uses (like aerial locomotion) a truncation of the forelimb isn't
unexpected.

On a nomenclature trivial note... "Austroraptor" was also the unofficial name
of the Australian theropod now called _Ozraptor_.  There's no danger of
priority, because the former name was a nomen nudum, and therefore has no
standing.

Cheers

Tim