Re: Daddy day-care: dinosaur fathers guarded the eggs

Quoting Janet m vandenburgh <van02@cox.net>:

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28302741/
>
> updated 59 minutes ago
> WASHINGTON - By Will Dunham
>
> You can call it dino daddy day-care.
>
> Scientists who examined the fossilized remains of three types of
> medium-sized dinosaurs found with large clutches of eggs have concluded that
> the males rather than the females seem to have guarded the nests and brooded
> the eggs.

A ratite-like system seems to make a lot of sense for non-avian theropods, so
it isn't such a surprise.
It's good to see some evidence of it though.

I myself once postulated that the Lark Quarry prints here in Australia might
represent a single large
theropod taking a creche of young juveniles down to a lake to drink, rather
than a lone predator
spooking a group of smaller theropods of a different species. The fact that
some of the smaller
theropod tracks are inside some of the larger ones might suggest they were
following close at dad's
heels.

Dann Pigdon