Re: New JVP in my mailbox

Yes, and the same paper also has a description of the postcrania of
Cedarpelta. :-)

For people who like sauropterygians, there's a new one as well-

Wumengosaurus delicatomandibularis Jiang, Rieppel, Motani, Hao, Sun,
Schmitz and Sun, 2008

>> Nesbitt, S.J. and M.R. Stocker. 2008. The vertebrate assemblage of the
>> Late Triassic Canjilon Quarry (Northern New Mexico, USA), and the
>> importance of apomorphy-based assemblage comparisons. Journal of
>> Vertebrate Paleontology 28(4), 1063-1072.

The latter component of this paper is much more interesting than the first. ;-)

>> Holliday, C.M. and L.M. Witmer. 2008. Cranial kinesis in dinosaurs:
>> intracranial joints, protractor muscles, and their significance for
>> cranial evolution and function in diapsids. Journal of Vertebrate
>> Paleontology 28(4), 1073-1088.

Cool little story in there: Ostrom was right in interpreting hadrosaur
skulls as being akinetic.

>> Carpenter, K., J. Bartlett, J. Bird, and Reese Barrick. 2008.
>> Ankylosaurs from the Price River Quarries, Cedar Mountain Formation
>> (Lower Cretaceous), east-central Utah. Journal of Vertebrate
>> Paleontology 28(4), 1089-1101.

The cool stuff has already been short-storied in this thread. It'd be
interesting to see if re-scoring Cedarpelta into Vickaryous et al.'s
analysis resulted in a tree that reflects Carpenter's referral to the
Shamosaurinae. More on that, apparently, tail clubs are only found in
ankylosaurine ankylosaurids. ;-)

>> Burns, M.E. 2008. Taxonomic utility of ankylosaur (Dinosauria,
>> Ornithischia) osteoderms: Glyptodontopelta mimus Ford, 2000: a test
>> case. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 28(4), 1102-1109.

Apparently, they're useful. The paper's really short, and I wish I
knew more about ankylosaur osteoderms, because it just seems like
something is missing in this paper.

Haven't bothered reading the other papers yet.

Nick