Re: Peloroplites

Hopefully this works, as my posts to the DML often appear truncated when I send
from my Web client (despite first ensuring that the plain-text option is set).

Here's the abstract for the Peloroplites paper in the current JVP issue. (My
scanner is out of commision, so this was hastily typed in - hopefully without
typos!)

ABSTRACT - A new large nodosaurid ankylosaur, Peloroplites cedrimontanus, is
described from a partial skull and postcranial skeleton found at the PR-2
Quarry located at the base of the Mussentuchit Member of the Cedar Mountain
Formation in central Utah. The specimen is about the same size as the
contemporary nodosaurid Sauropelta edwardsorum from the Cloverly Formation of
Montana, and is of an individual approximately 5-5.5 m long. The skull of
Peloroplites differs from that of Sauropelta in the vertical orientation of the
suspensorium, non-domed cranium and broad, square premaxillary beak. The quarry
is near and roughly at the same level as the CEM Quarry that produced the
holotype of the ankylosaurid Cedarpelta bilbeyhallorum. The postcrania of
Cederpelta is described and illustrated based on the paratype and new material.
These elements clearly establish that Cedarpelta is closer to Ankylosaurus than
to Sauropelta. As a primitive ankylosaurid, there is no a priori reason t
 o assu
me that the tail club was present. Based on recent finds in China, a hypothesis
is presented that the tail club is a derived feature in non-shamosaurine (i.e.,
ankylosaurine) ankylosaurids.

Regarding the etymology of the name, I lifted "monstrous heavy one from Cedar
Mountain" straight from the text, but I like the name better still when
considering the "armored soldier" aspect.

Best,

Rob Taylor
The Theropod Archives
http://home.comcast.net/~theropod-archives/