Re: Peloroplites

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Taylor" <rjtaylor68@comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 5:00 PM

Hopefully this works, as my posts to the DML often appear truncated when I send from my Web client (despite first ensuring that the plain-text option is set).

Well, it is plain text, but plain text without line breaks, which does not get through to everyone. So here I send it again, with line breaks.

Here's the abstract for the Peloroplites paper in the current JVP issue. (My scanner is out of commision, so this was hastily typed in - hopefully without typos!)

ABSTRACT - A new large nodosaurid ankylosaur, Peloroplites cedrimontanus, is described from a partial skull and postcranial skeleton found at the PR-2 Quarry located at the base of the Mussentuchit Member of the Cedar Mountain Formation in central Utah. The specimen is about the same size as the contemporary nodosaurid Sauropelta edwardsorum from the Cloverly Formation of Montana, and is of an individual approximately 5-5.5 m long. The skull of Peloroplites differs from that of Sauropelta in the vertical orientation of the suspensorium, non-domed cranium and broad, square premaxillary beak. The quarry is near and roughly at the same level as the CEM Quarry that produced the holotype of the ankylosaurid Cedarpelta bilbeyhallorum. The postcrania of Cederpelta is

The postcrania _is_???

described and illustrated based on the paratype and new material. These elements clearly establish that Cedarpelta is closer to Ankylosaurus than to Sauropelta. As a primitive ankylosaurid, there is no a priori reason to assume that the tail club was present. Based on recent finds in China, a hypothesis is presented that the tail club is a derived feature in non-shamosaurine (i.e., ankylosaurine) ankylosaurids.

Regarding the etymology of the name, I lifted "monstrous heavy one from Cedar Mountain" straight from the text, but I like the name better still when considering the "armored soldier" aspect.

Best,

Rob Taylor
The Theropod Archives
http://home.comcast.net/~theropod-archives/