Re: Peloroplites

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 02:32:02AM +0100, David Marjanovic scripsit:
>> This is because it doesn't matter if the noun is collective,
>> it matters if the noun phrase is collective. "The postcrania
>> of *Cedarpelta*" is plausibly collective, and English will
>> go a long way on plausibly.
>>
>> Similarly, "David's library is a matter of scientific curiosity"
>> or "Graydon's computer parts pile is not very well organized".
>
> These examples are tangential to the point, because "library" and "pile"
> are singular...

I seem to have focused on the phrasal part of the example a bit too much
there.

"The AMNH's collection of six hundred and seventeen sauropod skulls is
considered remarkable" is OK because "collection" is singular.

"Six hundred and seventeen sauropod skulls are considered a large
collection", because we don't have anything collective happening,
everything is modifying the plural "skulls".

"Six hundred and seventeen sauropod skulls considered as a group of
ontogentic serieses is the subject of this talk" is also OK, because the
admittedly rather lumpy noun phrase "Six hundred and seventeen sauropod
skulls considered as a group of ontogenetic serieses" is a plausible
collective noun phrase.

The real fun starts when one introduces numberless nouns like sheep and
moose; thankfully, I do not believe anyone's managed to introduce any
numberless nouns into dinosaur nomenclature.

-- Graydon