Re: "The Wonder of Sir David Attenborough"

In his first programme, Sir David Attenborough
examined the question of whether dinosaurs were
warm-blooded. He thought that indications of growth
rates in tyrannosaurid bone left the issue of
endothermy in doubt, and ended by saying, "We may
never know".

He could have added that we can be pretty sure at
least some dinosaurs were endotherms. Protofeathers
surely served as insulation for small endothermic
coelurosaurs in Mesozoic times, as downy feathers
still do for their descendants, neornithine birds.

David Lambert

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with Yahoo! For Good
http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/